Sunday, October 26, 2008

Corn Chowder and Tortilla Soup--for Suzy and Dad

Corn chowder--
I cut up a red onion and rinse it in water and then saute it in olive oil. Then I add 4-5 ears of corn (I cut the corn off, but add the ears for flavor). I also cut up 4-5 potatoes chopped into little pieces. I saute that a little bit and then add water. In the mean time I chop 3-4 tomatoes and add those. I add garlic and cumin and salt to taste. I try not to over cook because I like the potatoes a little bit firm. I whip up a couple of eggs and add those and I also add a little soft Mexican cheese. I let it cool off after the potatoes are just done and I add 2-3 cups of buttermilk. Then at the very end I add cilantro and green peppers. Be sure to squeeze a little lime. Make sure you have enough salt.

Tortilla soup
I boil the chix breasts with the skin and bones and then I save the juice and strain it. I also save the chix and shred it. In the food processor I put some garlic, a can of tomatoes with green chilis, a little bit of a cerano pepper an onion and a bunch of cilantro. I puree this and add it to the chix juice. I add salt and cumin to taste. I also thicken it with a little corn starch and add a half a can of tomato sauce. I fry corn tortillas in olive oil and then put them in the bowls with Monterey Jack cheese and the shredded chix. I pour the broth over and squeeze lime and cut up avacados. This is so good. Pat gave me the recipe. Did I forget anything Pat?

1 comment:

Suzy said...

Thank you so much for posting these! I can't wait to make them. YUM!! You are such a great cook.